Pre-Operation and Post-Operation Surgery Instructions
The following instructions apply to all surgery patients:
*DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SURGERY.
This includes candy, gum, water or toothpaste.
*DO NOT TAKE ANY ADVIL/MOTRIN (IBUPROFEN), EXCEDRIN(ASPIRIN), ALEVE(NAPROSYN) FOR 10 DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR SURGERY. YOU MAY ONLY TAKE TYLENOL.
Your usual maintenance medications should be taken on the morning of surgery as soon as you wake up with a small sip of water UNLESS instructed otherwise by the doctor.
*Patients with a history of asthma need to take inhalers and/or nebulizers the night before surgery and the morning of surgery. Even if you only take the asthma medications as needed (like albuterol), please take them as instructed above.
*Dr. Benke’s nurse will give you an instruction sheet for your procedure. Please read this prior to surgery. She will also give you your post-op prescriptions for medicines to use after surgery.
*Once your surgery has been scheduled, we will obtain benefits and authorization from your insurance company for the procedure you will be receiving. We will notify you of the amount, if any, not covered by the insurance. If a portion of the surgery fee is not covered by your insurance, our office policy requires this amount to be paid seven days prior to surgery. The fee charged for your surgery covers the surgery and depending on the surgery you have, may also cover 1-2 post op visits. Some surgeries require additional post-op procedures in the office. These charges will be submitted to your insurance company and any portion not covered by the insurance company will be due by you.
For specific pre-operational and post-operational instructions please pick from the list below:
- New Surgery Instructions
- General Instructions for Adenoidectomy
- General Instructions for Myringotomy with Tympanostomy Tube Placement (BMT)
- Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy
- General Instructions for Ear Surgery (Tympanoplasty, Ossiculoplasty, Mastoidectomy)
- General Instructions for Nasal Surgery 2 (Septoplasty, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS), Nasal Fracture Repair, Turbinate Surgery, Rhinoplasty)
- General Instructions for Neck Surgery (Submandibular Gland Excision, Parotidectomy, Thyroidectomy, Lymph Node Excisional Biopsy, Neck Dissection)
- General Instructions for Endoscopy (Laryngoscopy with or without biopsy, Esophagoscopy, and Bronchoscopy)